Thursday, February 21, 2019

The Mod, the Project and the Real Life.

Well, If you were checking Terraria forums on my mod thread, you probably knows about this, if you didn't, check this post I made, first: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/n-terraria-mod-rpg-races-classes-quests-and-other-things.542/page-422#post-1710571

Now you may be either thinking "might be a good idea" or "why would he do that?", and I'll tell you:
As stated on the topic, while modding Terraria, I had to do the changes while keeping what makes Terraria itself, which is why even though you have leveling, classes, races and etc on the mod, the progression is still like Terraria progression. But keeping that part of the game demi intact were causing me problems to add new stuff, or even modify, without counting the fact that the source I'm using for the mod is old, doesn't even support the new font style.

The problem actually get critical the more I continue, though. Because of the changes done to Terraria over the past years, Terraria has been turning harder and harder to mod on, because the decompilation bugs were getting harder and harder to fix, and the latest patch decompiling bugs were way too much for me to bear, I simply can't fix them, so If I were to launch the season 7 of the mod, I would need to use the current source I have.

The problem were up, until a few days ago I were talking to a friend about rpgs, and then came the idea of instead of modding Terraria, I could try making a new, different game, instead. That new different game I could place any kind of thing that comes in my creativity, and also try to make it any way I want. And that's where the next problem rises.

I don't really have the time to work on another project, the Tamers Network Project I'm already working on it in sluggish steps (even more since I should be working on the other parts of the game, but instead keep doing changes to the combat and battle systems), with two game projects to handle, both games will take longer to be finished, and since I work alone on those games, well, It would be like dividing 1 by 2, each project would get half of me, literally.

That's the problem I've been facing latelly, the idea of building a completelly new game using what I made on N Terraria is very tempting, but I'm talking about creating a new game, so compared to modding, will taking waaaaaaaaaaaay longer to see some result for it. And that's why I've tried to learn how to use Unity.

If you didn't knew yet, I have a low end rig, for both gameplay and development, so my pc is literally a Comodore 64, like a friend says. It's still 32 bits, so I can't install the latest version of Unity, but for luck's sake, when I tried to install Visual Studio 2017, It came with a 32 bits copy of it, and so I was happy, even looked at tutorials to learn how to mess with it, until I were having problems with the animator.... A friend said that could help me on the learning process of building a game on it, that looked great, until at some moment, he asked what version of Unity I were using, I told it, and he said that it was a very old version of it, from 2016... I literally felt really down when I read that, but not entirelly down since I still could make use it of... Beside not updated... And possibly unfinished...

Now I'm questioning myself if I should even try to make a game on it, since I can't even stand the way the character animations work on it. And even wonder what would be of the game project I had on mind. So currently, I wont be trying to put into practice the game project idea, I'll focus on TNR project, and keep going until I be able to take it out of it's tunnel.

On other news, TNR project is still alright, I've done some changes to the Defense system of it, instead of using a solid number that wouldn't give you a clue of how much defense you have, It will instead show a Percentage, that will give you a clue of how much damage will be reduced when your creature is attacked.

Following TNR news, I'm trying to figure out how I could make the status system do some intervention in combat, like for example in the following case:
MonsterA casts a skill on MonsterB that makes so 20% of the life stolen by it be passed to the caster.
MonsterB uses a life steal skill on MonsterC, 20% of the stolen life value goes to MonsterA.

That's the kind of thing I'm trying to figure out how I'll do, without making the code clunky, off course.


Another thing I've been thinking, is if the maps of the game should have their size increased by 5 times, currently the maps have a size of 80 width and height, If I increase the size by 5 times, each map will have a size of 400 width and height instead, making some maps less cramped, and bigger.
Maps like Towns will benefit from this, now field and dungeon maps I would need to think about what to do to them. Beside instead of changing the map size, maybe I could try instead to create a virtual map placement in the world, so the size doesn't really matter, as long as it's well placed in the world, but that could lead to causing a confusion on the placement, and having maps overlap one on another... Too much thing to think...

Also, the Quest system is getting a reformulation, but I will need to think on how it will work, how I'll make the quest events happen and how the trail will work...

As for monster spriting, I'm giving a hiatus to it, since my mouse is having problems on the left clicking, so trying to do pixel art with a mouse that clicks whenever it wants, or double clicks when you don't want is a test of patience. The last time I tried to sprite with it, I nearly used it as a whip to hit it on the wall repeatedly. Good thing I have hold on my patience a bit, since If it broke, I would only have the keyboard to use on the pc.

Well, sorry for the testament, and that's all for today's news. Sorry for not bringing any spoiler or anything again.

No comments:

Post a Comment