Friday, November 2, 2018

Hairy Spooky Wall of Text about TNR Project

Happy late Halloween (beside here where I live that isn't celebrated...), today I'll share some of the plans for the TNR project, aswell as tell what changed latelly.

First, I'll begin with the plans:

The magic system I plan on splitting them by "schools", and differently from skills abilities monsters comes from, they will be unlocked... By some way, because I didn't thought about that, yet. Possibly, maybe there will be a secondary leveling which involves that, or another function that you will need to do something to be able to unlock a new spell on that "school".

One thing I'm unsure about, is about if the skills should or shouldn't level up with the use, potentially getting stronger, that could either make the magic system more interesting, or broken, or even unfair.

Anyway, one thing is sure, that menu you saw for the Fight command on the video, where you could pick one of the 4 abilities to use, I plan on adding another menu like that for the magics, maybe even split them by "schools", and then when you select that "school", you'll be able to pick one of the four magic spells you can use. Of course you still will need to set the magic spells that you'll use in combat.

Another change I plan to do aswell, is change how the battle action selector works, I had an idea of minimalizing the key presses to select an action, like, with a simple direction press, you can select the action you'll use, like... You press Up key, the Fight command is selected, you press Down key, the Run command is selected, you press Left key, Magic, and so goes. The same also is planned for the inner commands, like the Fight skills and the Magic spells, since you can pick only up to 4 abilities, that will speed up the selection of abilities.

A third change I want to do, is change how the monsters will spawn in the maps, and what level they will spawn, I plan on removing the level tags of the map, and making so the monsters spawned in the maps have their own individual levels, aswell as removing the level display from the monster (and possibly npcs ) name, and instead replacing by an icon, the icon will be red if the monster is going to be a challenge for your monsters, and blue if the monster is not much of a challenge.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to fully make those changes, beside, I'm doing them because most likelly, any player will want to make their own monster team before venturing in the game world, also, numbers may make the player feel restricted about what kind of challenge to face, so removing them and replacing by an icon, might give the player an idea that the monster is tough, but wont stop you from facing it, even more since the reward for beating it will be good.

I don't know if you guys remember the Werewolves and Vampires from the old version of the game, but I'm kind of trying to bring them back here, possibly with transformation and everything includded, but what kind of bonus and penalty they could afflict the monster, victim of it?

And the last plan I have, I'm going to make the game show better who is the monster going to take an action and show the targets when in the menu, I have kind of an idea of how to make that work, I just will need to add a few scripts to the monster skill data, so It also tries to get the possible targetted monsters from the skill.

Now for what changed latelly on the project...

The monsters will not only receive status boost or penalty depending on their size, the exp required to level up, aswell as exp reward also changes based on their size, bigger monsters awards more exp, and requires more exp to level up than smaller monsters do. This change has been done, because bigger monsters are already tough, even if you have a Level 1 small and big monster on your team, the big monster status is already as good as of a monster of a few levels, so you'll probably not have much problems having one in the team, so to level up faster a big monster, you need to face big or even bigger monsters to acquire good exp for it.

I've been tweaking the skill effects positioning, they were appearing at weird positions when trying to spawn from a monster action point, It's still bugged, but is less bugged than before.

Added one more monster to the game, but now It's 3 monsters I have to finish spriting.

Now multiple monsters can attack at the same time, as long as their skills attacks only 1 target, and It's target isn't using a skill or being a victim of one, that surelly has speed up the battle, but I will need to do a system to get the targets from the multi target spell, so It doesn't turn to mandatory that multi target skills should have their own spotlight.

And for the last, I've did some changes to the tutorial npc dialogue, in the future you may have the chance of seeying it in action, but right now, the tutorial is unfinished, also, I still need to think of a name change for the BattleNet company, in the game, because that possibly will lead me to problems in the future, maybe a name that starts with B and ends with Net, I still need to think, beside I'm always open to suggestions.

Anyway, sorry for the boring wall of text, the people at IndieDB possibly would have locked down my blog for posting so many news without photos, if they were the owners of blogger, what they aren't, hahaha.

Well, I'll see if I can show some visual progress on the next news, that is, if I don't talk about another monster too.

Until next news.

No comments:

Post a Comment